It is presumed that Reed Smart & Tappin were the architects of this building as it resembles the Convent and the Annexe buildings. Built in 1911 it housed the older ‘preservites’ who were voluntary admissions. The majority of those girls worked on the farm. Post WW11 migrant families boarded their daughters in St Mary’s whilst they found their feet in Australia. The younger ‘preservites’ were based in the orphanage St Joseph’s – a building that was demolished to make way for the Good Shepherd nursing home in Clarke Street.
After much restoration work, the whole of St Mary’s (and a section of Mercator) has become the home of the Sophia Mundi Steiner School Primary campus since mid-2006.